Eternals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eternals

A forum for Eternal members.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

discipline priest application

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
leapingwolf
Whats a forum?
Whats a forum?

discipline priest application Empty
PostSubject: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 8:17 pm

General information:

Characters name: Anhotep
Class: Priest
Race: Dreanei
Level at time of application: 52, but aiming for 70 pre-expansion
Played Time on your character: *shrug* can’t be that long on this guy, but loads on leaping Neutral
Professions and level of professions: Crafter of Pretty Things, Mining
Do you have a stable internet connection (Yes/No and average MS in raids): I’ve had no problems with this recently, it should be ok.

How soon after release are you aiming to be level 80 and how are you going to achieve this? (I.E. booked a week off work, cleared your evening commitments for 2 weeks, out of work)
ASAP really, I don’t have issues with time atm however exams are coming up in November and I plan on doing a bit of travelling in the Christmas holidays, I may end up taking my laptop if it proves practical tho, travelling without it is ftl.

What other characters will you level to 80?
Probably just Leaping for now, although I have a ‘lock I was enjoying till I had to make a decision of what to take to 80.

Raid times and Experience:
We currently raid 6 days a week, days and times could possibly change in WotLK, please delete yes or no below depending on whether you would be able to attend or not. (Server times) *converts into Aussie times for reference*. All available times subject to tweaking with Jan timetables.
Monday 19:30-00:00 – (5:00 – 9:30) Yes
Tuesday 19:30-00:00 – (5:00 – 9:30) No – atm I have to leave the house at 8:00 for uni
Wednesday 19:30-00:00 – (5:00 – 9:30) Yes
Thursday 19:30-00:00 - (5:00 – 9:30) Yes
Friday 19:30-xx:xx – (5:00 – xx:xx) Yes and I could raid until Tuesday afternoon or until I collapse on my keyboard and wipe the raid, whichever comes first Wink
Saturday is rest day xxxxx
Sunday 19:30-23:00 (5:00 – 8:30) - Yes

Do you have pre-TBC raiding experience, if so what? ZG and a bit o’ AQ 40, but this was at 70 so it hardly counts lol

What is the highest TBC raid boss you have killed and attempted to kill? Cleared ZA (this is on Leaping) and attempted Vashj (but u were there so u know this Wink )

General questions

Previous guilds and reasons for leaving?
Remember this can be checked.
Harbringers – pretty much fell apart wasn’t going anywhere, wanted to advance.
Royal Pandemonium – this was my kara guild and I had a good time here, unfortunately the GM server switched and people began to panic, some how I got tossed the GM responsibility (I know, right? Laughing ) and I managed to hold it together for a couple of weeks, people weren’t reliably showing up for raids, and the guild fell apart, I abandoned ship.

What role do you feel you provide in a raid and what areas of strengths do you feel your class and spec has over others?
I hope to raid as discipline with this spec: talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=053300313050510250102523125100505003000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 this assumes another priest specs imp fort ofc. I can spec 2/2 Imp DS if RL so wishes, for which I would drop to 2/3 SR and 4/5 enlightenment. (Bare in mind IF grants 120sp at lvl 80)
The purpose of this spec is for single target healing (IE main or off tank mostly) and is based around:

High levels of damage mitigation which should help smooth out damage spikes, especially given the nerf to avoidance, which should make things a little easier for the other healers.

High levels of intellect, (spirit has become a bit of a B stat for discipline) as this provides a large amount of regen through rapture making the spec very mana efficient. Int also helps with…

Crit, again the more healed the more is returned by rapture, not to mention critical heals are more mana effective due to a higher HPM. Crit also provides for procs of Inspiration and DA.

Haste, faster heals make up for what the discipline tree lacks in direct +x% to healing talents and makes it a much more reactive spec, capable of dealing with less predictable spike damage, this is however unfortunately disc’s main strength when it comes to raid healing (where I would be speccing holy, double spec ftw)

Another little neat trick is ofc PI, which could either get us out of a tricky situation by being able to land heals that bit faster, or I can throw it at a mage and earn their love and adoration until it turns out I needed it after all and we wipe Wink

In WotLK; what changes will you make to your spec and how do you feel the talent changes in WotLK will affect you most?
In short: the fact that speccing disc for PvE isn’t completely retarded. I feel that I have covered this fairly well in my answer above.

Name 1 thing you feel has been changed negatively regarding your class in the expansion? (If you can't then say why you can't)
On the whole I’m quite happy, the fact that down ranking is dead has been tossed around as a big problem, but this effects all healers to some extent, and with the recent changes to the mana regen system (both within the disc tree itself and from Spriests, SV Hunters and Retlols) I think mana should still be manageable with due care. Same applies for chain potting I guess, we’ll just have to see how it pans out Smile

What do you think you can add to Eternals?
I’m a hard working PvE lover who listens to any bit of advice I can get my grubby little mitts on, including asking far too many questions if I’m unsure of something, reading forums (especially EJ) reading up on bosses and watching how to videos etc. I don’t mind a bit of grinding and almost always farm my own mats for enchants and LW stuff etc where possible and don’t mind doing a bit of this for GB stocks (especially if I am doing something in the area anyway) or even donating any surplus I’ve accumulated to individuals if needed.

What do you think Eternals can do for you?
Basically the chance to see endgame content in a bigger way than I got the chance to this time around, I’m already good friends with a few guildies irl and it would be nice to be at the forefront of GL raiding with them rather than watching from the wings.

Personal information; Name, age, where you live, interests/hobbies, Job and family that will nag you to stop raiding?
Olly, 19, currently living in Adelaide, South Australia for the year before I move back to finish my degree at Lancaster Uni in sunny England  when I’m not working or on WoW I like to throw myself out of perfectly functioning aircraft and feel the wind on my face as I plummet towards earth at terminal velocity Very Happy no one either here or at uni to drag me away from wow, and my folks fail miserably when they try Wink

Additional information which you would like to name?
Back to top Go down
Ronan
Look mummy, I can type
Look mummy, I can type
Ronan

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Im trying to avoid as much bias as I can when commenting here.
Ive checked your talent spec out, a couple of things, Dont you think 2/2 Healing Focus would be required? Also Pain supression, how effective could this be? THe 5% threat drop could cause problems if using on a tank, maybe not, i dunno, could you explain how and when and on who, you would use it?
Glyphs also, what would you go for?

On the whole quite a good application though, well explained discipline mechanics
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Admin

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

It's not the most practicle thing for a member to live the other side of the world. Obviously I can see many problems that can bring in a raid but more importantly with you. You're asking to be accepted
into a guild full of people on alternate times of day to you. For this to happen you would have to change your sleep pattern in a huge way and I worry about its long term stability. I understand you want to raid, you are already in the guild, how about staying casual for now and see how things pan out? If you want to push to be considered for full membership then thatas fine but a big part of the discussion is going to be about the practicalities.

No matter what happens your position as casual in the guild will not be in jeoprady, except in the good way Wink

Rigsby
Back to top Go down
https://eternalsoldforum.forumotion.com
leapingwolf
Whats a forum?
Whats a forum?

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 5:18 am

Hey guys Smile thanks for the questions, i guess i should explain a little more.
@ Ronab:
Healing focus: i did look at this talent and decided against it based on a variety of reasons:
In most raids it is likely there will be a holy specced pala (assuming 25 mans, and in Eternals for serious raiding why not?) it is also likely that said paladin will be speccing imp concentration aura for 50% pushback resistance. healing focus gives 70% for 2 points, however given the new raid buff mechanics i can almost garuntee they will not stack, which given the change to pushback mechanics (max 0.5s x2) means for 2 talent points im getting a whole 0.2s extra pushback resist, or 0.1 if i only get hit once, this seems a little lackluster in my view. However, what makes me even more dubious about this talent is that discipline will be relying rather heavily on our lovely new spell- Penance, which being channeled will lose a tick even if im only taking 0.1s of pushback, the best way to avoid this is pretty much to shield myself (giving me haste on the next cast too, which is nice) or to stop being a retard and move out of the chuffing fire Razz Another part of my reasoning is that on the whole discipline spells are well hasted anyway, so while pushback may prevent a larger percentage of my casttime, i would still be getting casts off faster than other healers on the whole. Not to mention the number of instants that disc uses, which ofc will not be affected at all... wow, life story :/

Pain Suppression: this one i have to admit i was a little more dubious about, obviously the reduced 5% threat could be an issue (gief glyph of pain suppression tbh Razz) however this could be either managed through omen (obviously don't use it when someone is close on threat unless your retarded) or through the greatly increased number of MDs (down to 30s CD) and the new rogue equivalent - tricks of the trade (The threat caused by your next attack and all actions taken for 6 sec (just wow on a high haste rogue) afterwards will be transferred to the target. In addition, all damage caused by the target is increased by 15% during this time (also increasing the tanks threat thru dps output on its own, trust rogues to steal a hunter ability, only make it better, at least MD will still be used for pulling i guess :/). 15 energy also 30s CD if you're not farmiliar with this ability) so tank threat on the whole is likely to be higher. However, this being said with a CD of 3 mins (2m 24 with aspiration) and and average encounter length of what? about 6 mins? its not gonna be cast a hell of alot, and is most likely to be used in conjunction with PW:S, renew and a quick penance (or flash if penance on CD) when someone over aggros and is about to get oneshotted or some similar situation, it's basically an "oh shit" button. ofc if it proves to be a pretty mediocre talent theres plenty of other places to put it, same goes for DS if someone else takes it, lots of other things id like Wink

Glyphs:
Major: Glyph of PW:S (for a disc, ud be nuts not to take this) 20% of damage absorbed as a heal, this happens before the shield runs out btw not after, so there is little risk of the heal being made redundant while the shield is active through other healing, or of the heal being lower from the shield being timed out rather than used up. Of course this heal scales directly with imp PW:S and borrowed time, possibly even with renewed hope depending on when weakened soul is counted as being applied, my guess would be simultaneously so hopefully this helps too. The glyph also CAN crit, which would ofc lead to increased returns from rapture and DA (do these stack? which one is used up first? i've not seen a diffinative answer to this at the moment)

Glyph of FH - reduces mana cost by 10% - will probably get used quite a bit, nuff said

Heres where i'm wondering a little, either Glyph of Renew (3s duration reduction for 25% stronger ticks, allows for faster healing and quicker reapplication) or Glyph of Dispel (6% max health heal for free ftw) depending on the fight i guess, if theres gonna be alot for me to dispel (especially if im on dispelling duty) then obviously this glyph is pretty awesome, if there's not much to dispel then it really sucks :/ however Renew/Flash is often an either/or situation so i may not be making the best of that glyph either :/
Looking on the bright side, there will be more glyphs at 80 which i can't seem to be able to find yet (although i've seen the hunter ones, so i guess they're out there somewhere), which will undoubtably make me re-evaluate my choices.

Minor glyphs: TBH these are a bit rubbish, eg reducing mana of PW:F and PoF by 50%, when im gonna be drinking right after anyway, 10 mins increased duration on shadow resist buffs, when we'll be rebuffing before an encounter, so it's unlikely to fall off anyway (through time resitrictions) etc

What i think ill go with, until i see something better anyway is probably: Fading (30% less mana on Fade), Shadowfiend (recieve 5% of max mana if it dies from damage (which it probably won't if i use it at the right time)) and Levitate (no reagent cost), either that or Shackle for an extra 5 yard range - yes, thats how lame they are.

@ Rigs:
OK, i understand your concerns, firstly tho "You're asking to be accepted
into a guild full of people on alternate times of day to you" this is going to be true of any guild, unless i server switch, which i won't, all my friends are here and i talk more to them on wow than through other means so its quite a big social thing for me too, although having a casual place in hand does make me feel better about this Very Happy the sleep pattern thing may be true, however i have had to get up early for weeks at a time before (for example on the outback trip ive just been on getting up at around 5ish, and thru cadets when we'd get up around 5:30 to avoid the shower rush, especially for communal showers, tho im sure u loved it ;P) although yes, sustainability may be an issue. I'm sure there will be plenty of stand in options if i decide i need to take a short break though, this will infact become more of an issue when the clocks change again, but by that time it won't be long until i'm back in England. Raiding is quite a big thing for me, but the thing is this is ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF the dodgy times of day, which make finding groups for heroics very difficult, it's nice to know that if i am on at x o'clock there will be something happening that i can take part in if you see what i mean... i understand this may be difficult, but how about a compromise? either i trial with the casual safety net, or if this turns out to be too taxing maybe a part time raider(is part time even in the Eternals vocabulary? lol)? this would give me flexibility for travel and of course sleep, but would unfortunately hold back the progression of my character due to a combo of not being there for drops, and not haveing as much DKP when i am Sad hopefully this could be made up for at least in part by pvp rewards (ewwwww) and badge epics. but yes, i would like to be considered seriously, and I'm sure their are plenty of other candidates waiting in the wings if things don't pan out.

Thanks Alot guys, feel free to ask any more questions if you have any other pressing concerns, obv in-game is great too unless it needs to appear on the forums for what? admin? ease of sharing info between officers?

0/
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Admin

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 5:30 am

I really really really like your app. And I really really really like you as a person. This will be a hard one and I'm gunna need to think on this. I think Ronans already guessed hes gunna have to stay out for the decision making here and will say to you give us some time to think things over, as I like you I also want to consider the impact it will have on your life (I know you're a big boy don't worry Wink) Another thing I wanna say is that it's very likely that we are going to be raiding 10 mans late at night all the time (morning for you) as there are quite a few no-lifers no-sleepers in the guild and I see you fitting in to that side of things very well!

Anyways will get back to you but by far an exceptional application.

Rigsby
Back to top Go down
https://eternalsoldforum.forumotion.com
leapingwolf
Whats a forum?
Whats a forum?

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks Rigs Very Happy if it comes down to it that should be fine, after all im back in England in August probably, so i can jump in then if possible, although no doubt ill have a crap load of catching up to do, i will definately have missed guild firsts, and probably server firsts, which kinda sucks, but i don't wanna be holding us back if it comes down to that ofc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: discipline priest application   discipline priest application Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

discipline priest application
Page 1 of 1